I am not talking about aimbots, but 100% computer controlled bots for training purposes.
They are meant to be run server side and will connect to localhost by default.
The code is based on the current 0.5.1 client source, modified to remove graphics and run in console mode (this saves a lot of CPU, they eat about 5% of CPU each on my P4 3Ghz).
Basically, they do the following:
- When they find a known checkpoint, they will follow a hard coded path, using directions/jumps/hooks. This allows the bots to be quite fast when they are on a known route (they can sometime capture the flag in 8 seconds). Currently there are 5 paths for the map "ctf5", but it is possible to add more).
- When they lose the path (collision, hooked, stuck, etc) they will switch to pseudo random move and try to come back to the closer base, in order to catch again the path.
- Strangely, they don't know about the flag :) They will just go from bases to bases forever hopping to capture the flag.
- They try to shoot at the closer enemy using the current weapon (switch weapon on pickup activated), and will fall back to gun when they have no ammo left. I added some random deviation to avoid "perfect" shoots, like pure aimbots would do.
- They will also try to catch the closer enemy using the hook. If the enemy is close enough, they will use the hammer.
- They know about the "holes" in the map and will try to avoid suicides (but they still do it too much ).
If you are curious, they can be seen/tested on my server, search "zeRezo" in the server list. The bots are all named "bot|royale".
Here are some videos of the bots in action:
I modified the bot to restore graphics for these demos, normally they only run in console mode.
I posted this message on the official forum to have some feedbacks, specially from admins.
As I expected, they don't want the code to be released, since it could help cheaters to make aimbots.
So this will stay an exclusivity for my server